QR Translator

History of Shinagawa Odaiba

Perry Expedition and construction of Shinagawa Odaiba

Perry's arrival on June 3, 1853, awakened the Edo Shogunate from a long "isolated country" sleep. After Perry's sail, the Shogunate immediately began to consider strengthening the sea defense of Edo Bay, and as a result of a patrol of Egawa Bay by Egawa Tarozaemon Hidetatsu and others, it was decided to build Odaiba for inland sea defense. did. The construction plan was to build 11 Odaiba on the sea from Minamishinagawa Ryoshicho (Shinagawa Susaki) to Fukagawa Susaki with reference to Western castle construction books and artillery books. The construction was started at the end of August, 1853, and proceeded day and night. The number of laborers, etc. reached 5,000 at the time of construction of the first, second, and third laborers, and the total construction cost was enormous at 750,000 cars. The first, second, and third Daiba were completed in July of the following year, and the land-based Goten Yamashita Daiba, which was added on the way to the fifth and sixth, was completed in December. Construction of the 4th and 7th daiba was started, but it was canceled in the middle of the construction, and it was not started after the 8th daiba. Odaiba, which was finally completed with six units, was guarded as a base for defense of Edo Bay until just before the collapse of the Shogunate in 1868 by a daimyo with a Shinpan and Fudai daimyō who were close to the Tokugawa Shogunate. I was. (Quoted from Shinagawa Historical Museum commentary sheet "Shinagawa Odaiba")

Shinagawa Odaiba After that

The completed six Odaiba units were under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of the Navy in 1873, and were transferred from the Ministry of the Navy to the Ministry of the Army in 1875. After that, the 3rd Daiba was sold to the city of Tokyo in 1918, along with the 6th Daiba, and was tentatively designated as a historic site by the Governor of Tokyo in 2013, and became a nationally designated historic site in 2015. After that, the six Odaiba floating in Tokyo Bay disappeared after being reclaimed or removed, leaving two historic sites behind. The third Daiba, which still retains the remnants of those days, is popular with people as a metropolitan Daiba park. (Quoted from Shinagawa Historical Museum commentary sheet "Shinagawa Odaiba")

A man who mastered Western artillery Egawa Tarozaemon Hidetatsu (Tan-an)

Egawa Tarozaemon Hidetatsu (Tan-an / 1801-1855) was born in Nirayama, Izu, and was named Tan-an as a hereditary daikan there. He studied under the Dutch scholars Hatazaki Ding and Watanabe Kazan, and mastered Western artillery from Takashima Shuhan. Egawa was bought for the spread of Takashima style artillery under the administration of Tadakuni Mizuno and the achievement of strengthening the sea defense, and under the administration of Masahiro Abe when Perry arrived, he was in charge of selecting the construction position of Odaiba and casting cannons. Although the construction plan claimed by Egawa did not come true, he took command after that and led the six Odaiba units to completion.

Shinagawa Odaiba still remains

Edo Bay and Shinagawa Odaiba revived to the present day

This is a high-precision CG panoramic photograph completed under a project by Fuji Television Network Co., Ltd. to replace the scenery of Tokyo Bay seen from the spherical observation deck of Fuji Television Network in the Edo period. It was faithfully restored by comparing numerous drawings and documents one by one. Please enjoy the contrast between the present age and the Edo period.

Third Daiba (Daiba Park)

In the park, there are traces of a camphouse, a gunpowder storage, a replica of a battery, etc., and you can feel the remnants of the Edo period. Please visit one of the leading historical parks in Tokyo where the past and the present coexist.


A battery that was added to the outer circumference by the Western-style castle construction method. What is currently installed in the park was restored in 1933 based on the records at that time.

Explosive storage trace

A wooden tile-roofed building with an embankment surrounding it. Gunpowder was distributed and stored in several places in the park in case of fire or impact.

Jinya ruins

A building built in the central lowland as a place of residence for workers. Only the basic part still exists.

Kamado trace

An octagonal kamado made of Oya stone that was installed with the opening of the park in 1933.

Sixth Daiba (Daiba Park)

It is the only one that still exists along with the third one, but it is currently off limits to the general public under the control of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.